Saturday, September 12, 2009

Stockpile 1,100 light bulbs

Woman stockpiles 1,100 banned light bulbs so she can read for rest of her life
A pensioner has defied an EU ban by hoarding more than 1,000 traditional light bulbs - enough to see her 'into the grave'.
Valerie Hemsley-Flint, 62, has spent more than £500 of her pension money stockpiling the old-style 100-watt bulbs.
September 1, EU countries were banned from producing or importing incandescent bulbs and shops can sell only energy-efficient ones.
But Miss Hemsley-Flint said the light from them is not good enough for her to read by and the flickering sets off her epilepsy.
So she has bought 1,100 old-style bulbs and is calling on the Government to scrap the ban.
From her home in Sittingbourne, Kent, Miss Hemsley-Flint said: 'I suffer from photosensitive epilepsy, which means I can't get near any screen or anything that flickers.
'I worked out that if I live as long as my aunts did - into their 90s - I would need about 30 years' worth of the old-style bulbs for each room.
'I have more than 1,000 now - in fact 1,100. It has cost me a small fortune but for me it's worth it and will see me through to the grave.'
The former teacher, who also suffers from migraines, estimates she needs about 20 bulbs at a time to light her £300,000 three-bedroom country cottage.
.

No comments: